Apply Green Tourism Incentive Programme (GTIP) in South Africa
The GTIP was initially launched in 2017 and reviewed in 2021 resulting in additional benefits to the tourism sector for the installation of solutions for the sustainable management and usage of electricity and water.
Through grant funding, the GTIP assists private sector tourism enterprises in reducing the cost of investing in more energy and water-efficient operations, while increasing their competitiveness, profitability, employment and operational sustainability in the long term.
About Green Tourism Incentive Programme ((GTIP))
The Green Tourism Incentive Programme (GTIP) is a resource efficiency incentive programme of the Department of Tourism whose objective is to encourage and support private sector tourism enterprises to adopt responsible tourism practices by moving towards the sustainable management of water and energy resources whilst adhering to responsible tourism practices.
Benefits of Green Tourism Incentive Programme
The GTIP broadly offers the following benefits to qualifying tourism enterprises:
- the full cost for a new resource efficiency audit or the full cost for reviewing an existing resource efficiency audit;
- grant funding to qualifying small and micro enterprises on a sliding scale from 50% to 90% of the total cost of implementing resource efficiency interventions, which is capped at R 1 million; and
- qualifying enterprises may now implement projects in phases in order to better manage their cash flow over a two-year project implementation period.
The programme is managed by the Industrial Development Corporation (IDC) on behalf of the Department and all applications and approvals are managed by the IDC.
The 6th window period for applications is open from 1 October 2021 to 31 March 2022 to call for prospective applicants to submit applications for the Green Tourism Incentive Programme.
- Applicants should submit their application forms and supporting documents directly to the IDC, who will assess applications for GTIP eligibility.
- More detailed information on the GTIP as well as an application form can be downloaded from the IDC Website: https://www.idc.co.za/green-tourism-incentive-programme/
- All GTIP enquiries should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Note that incomplete applications will not be considered for funding.
Prospective applicants for the Green Tourism Incentive Programme are advised to be wary of people purporting to be representatives or agents of the programme.