DV Lottery 2023 Digital Photo Eligibility Requirements:
State Department Web site for the 2023 Diversity Visa Program (DV-2023) is now open. The entry submission period for DV-2023 is from 12:00PM EDT (GMT -4) on October 6, 2021 to 12:00PM EST (GMT -5) on November 9, 2021. The entry form will only be available for submission during this period and this period only. Entries will NOT be accepted through the U.S. Postal Service after the given period elapses.
Your photo or digital image is a vital part of your visa application. Review the examples below to learn how your photo or digital image should look. We recommend you use a professional photo service to ensure your photo meets all the requirements. The acceptance of your photo or digital image is at the discretion of the U.S. embassy or consulate where you apply.
Detailed Examples of Visa Photos
Keep in mind the basics: size, expression, head position, background, print quality, and anything that might obscure the face (hair, shadows, glare on glasses, etc). Helpful “Photo tips” are provided on many of the examples. Please review the examples of both acceptable and unacceptable photos visa applications here.
The digital image must adhere to the following specifications:
|The image dimensions must be in a square aspect ratio (the height must be equal to the width). The minimum acceptable dimensions are 600 x 600 pixels. The maximum acceptable dimensions are 1200 x 1200 pixels. Please review photo requirements for specific dimensions.
|The image must be in color (24 bits per pixel) in sRGB color space which is the common output for most digital cameras.
|The image must be in JPEG file format
|The image must be less than or equal to 240 kB (kilobytes).
|The image may need to be compressed in order for it to be under the maximum file size. The compression ratio should be less than or equal to 20:1.
Want to scan an existing photo?
In addition to the digital image requirements, your existing photo must be:
- 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm)
- Scanned at a resolution of 300 pixels per inch (12 pixels per millimeter)
Use the Department of State’s free photo tool to:
Use the Department of State’s free photo tool here
Your photos or digital images must be:
- In color
- Sized such that the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (22 mm and 35 mm) or 50% and 69% of the image’s total height from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head. View the Photo Composition Template for more size requirement details.
- Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
- It must be taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
- Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
- With a neutral facial expression and both eyes open
- Taken in clothing that you normally wear on a daily basis
- Uniforms should not be worn in your photo, except religious clothing that is worn daily.
- Do not wear a hat or head covering that obscures the hair or hairline, unless worn daily for a religious purpose. Your full face must be visible, and the head covering must not cast any shadows on your face.
- Headphones, wireless hands-free devices, or similar items are not acceptable in your photo.
- Eyeglasses are no longer allowed in new visa photos, except in rare circumstances when eyeglasses cannot be removed for medical reasons; e.g., the applicant has recently had ocular surgery and the eyeglasses are necessary to protect the applicant’s eyes. A medical statement signed by a medical professional/health practitioner must be provided in these cases. If the eyeglasses are accepted for medical reasons:
- The frames of the eyeglasses must not cover the eye(s).
- There must not be glare on eyeglasses that obscures the eye(s).
- There must not be shadows or refraction from the eyeglasses that obscures the eye(s).
- If you normally wear a hearing device or similar articles, they may be worn in your photo.